egg size from new layers

Bearing1

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 27, 2010
Plantersville/Magnolia TX
3 of my hens started laying eggs this week and they are about half size of a normal egg when will they start laying full size eggs. 3 fried eggs are like eating 1 egg.
I'm sure this has been asked many times but I couldn't find an answer by searching.

Last edited:
My girls started laying a few weeks ago and they laid "pullet sized eggs" for about 2 weeks and are already getting bigger in size. I guess they need to get a little practice before they lay traditional sized eggs! Those little eggs are kind of cute though!

Pullet eggs are normally quite small. It happens a little differently with different chickens, but you should notice that they get bigger over time, until their first molt. After the first molt, they often get even bigger.

My chickens are nearing their first molt. I am just now getting about 50% qualified "large" eggs. The rest are usually mediums. Other folks report different results than mine.

Same thing here. My husband found the first egg in the coop tonight. We are pretty sure it is from the hen the kids call Merleah because she is an Ameraucana and it is a blue egg, bigger than those small chocolate eggs but smaller than a Cadbury's egg. Kids are excited of course and the shell seems strong--we've been putting granite and oyster shell in the food. It's just small so they wanted to know why. I think that's been answered here. All the chickens are about 5 months old now so we knew it was possible at any time. But you say 3 tinies are like one regular fried egg....so I take that to mean that the only anomaly is size and that the tiny egg is safe to eat. I was wondering about that. Am I understanding correctly? We will be rearranging the coop tomorrow for better laying quarters now that we know for sure that at least one of the hens has started laying.

The little eggs are fine to eat. My girls started laying a few days ago and their eggs are very tasty!
droolin.gif
I've been scrambling them though since they are too small to fry...

Back
Top Bottom