Egg size may vary...

meggers38

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 16, 2013
So, we have an interesting egg collection today. Thoughts? For perspective, the egg on the right is our average size, the other two are not what we normally see. Plus there's yolk on it and I can't see any breakage in the nesting box. Reasons?

I also have a chicken who who has been laying eggs with a little blood on the outside. Next, I have a chicken who consistently lays white eggs with blood clots inside as well.

Lastly, all of the sudden I have one laying green eggs, but we've had them for 9 months...boom there's a green egg. Kinda funny.

Thoughts? TIA!

Attachments

• 20230513_132531.jpg
    20230513_132531.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230513_133423.jpg
    20230513_133423.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 10
I noticed when my hens first started laying the eggs were small. Now I get some big ones and some small ones. I haven't kept track but I'm going to assume the small ones are from the newer hens.

I noticed when my hens first started laying the eggs were small. Now I get some big ones and some small ones. I haven't kept track but I'm going to assume the small ones are from the newer hens.
That makes sense. Wjen i got them, i was told that these chickens were all over a year, so I didn't anticipate new layers. Lol.

I can't see any egg shells in the box, but some yolk on the side of the box. As far as the little egg, there was only white, no yolk.

Attachments

• 20230513_160955.jpg
    20230513_160955.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 7
I can't see any egg shells in the box, but some yolk on the side of the box.
They often eat the shell, and as much of the contents that they can, so you'll just find a 'wet spot' in the bedding.

As far as the little egg, there was only white, no yolk.
...and what looks like a tiny piece of tissue.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

Back
Top Bottom