Egg Size Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SweetLilRachy00, Dec 29, 2007.

1. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    Well we have started getting eggs!!!

We have 11 hens and have been getting 1 egg a day since Dec. 24. (Christmas Eve!)

I know that I read in Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens that the first one will be smallish and then they will start getting bigger. And that the first one will come with a couple days break inbetween. Of course these weren't chicken breed specific. Just the basics I suppose.

So, I have read up on the chickens that i have, Supposedly I am supposed to get

Large white eggs from my Minorca
    Dark Brown from the Partridge Wyandotte
    And Blue/Green from the Easter Eggers

So far I have only gotten one HUGE EGG from day 1. Then on day two noticed an itty bitty egg. Then from then on, one a day, all the same size.

Are they going to get bigger? These are really smaller. Like You would probably have to make up about 3-4 of them to equal one regular 'standard store bought' kind.
    How long will it be small before they start getting bigger?

And what do I put in their nest boxes so they don't pull it out????? I was using straw/hay but they pull it all out![​IMG]

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    it may be a little while. My bantam barred rocks laid eggs the size of a robins egg. it took a few months till they got to the size they should be

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It will take a few months to reach normal size. Then a year or two to reach the maximum size... I have a commercial leghorn who looks like a wreck and lays eggs too big for the jumbo carton. Can't she take a break!

4. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if it'd be weeks or more! That was a good time frame!

That poor Leghorn! Well, I guess it doesn't bother her!

5. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    yea when you see a liitle tiny egg some people call it a Starter egg

then after a lil while the eggs will be normal size [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by