Egg size

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, Jun 30, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Why is it that when I look at pictures in my first egg picture post they all seem to be larger than mine? I have buff orps and black australorps which are suppose tol lay large eggs. I have read that they start out small at first but these are smaller than the small eggs at the grocery store. John

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My buffs and blues always lay small eggs for the first month or two and yes they were close to store bought smalls...

3. rebeccakeesee

rebeccakeesee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Be patient they will get bigger. My head hen has only been laying a few weeks and we already see an increase in Size and shape.

Just pick up that phone and order some Lavitra right now....

Yes I am laughing at my self...
    [​IMG]

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    They probably aren't as big as they look. When I took my first egg picture I thought, "Wow, look how big the egg looks in my hand!" When in all actuality, it is not very big. When my husband saw it, he said to be sure to tell you all that I have small hands because the egg is really not as big as it looks! hehe [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    They get bigger. My RIR lays em bigger than a store large and my leghorn sometimes gets close to duck sized eggs.

6. dixieschicks

dixieschicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2007
    CUSTER PARK ILLINOIS
    [​IMG]

hello and happy 4th of july!

I havent gotten to be on in a long time from a broken pc. its nice to be back

anyway, today i went out to the coop and found this egg.

i show comparisons with a standard Minorca egg, a bantam cochin egg and then the WORLDS SMALLEST I have ever seen.

I do have some 14 week old Light Brahmas and Buff Orps. Could they be telling me they are going to lay?

thanks, cindy

7. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I can't answer your question - I just wanted to say that you have a really cute egg there! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by