Egg size

my sexlink is why I got addicted to chickens. She did lay a daily jumbo egg. And I couldn't believe that little scrawny chicken produced so many giant eggs. My fear now would be that a chicken that was that productive would burn out - and die young. (like at 3-years). They are amazing birds.

My 6 girls are all RSL's and I've found their eggs are getting steadily bigger. I haven't had any monster eggs, but during the summer, we averaged 5 eggs a day and they were all L, XL or Jumbo. Production has slowed, but they're still all very nice sized eggs. They're good girls
love.gif

Smallest egg ever ... Funniest thing in have seen since beginning this whole farming of yard birds started. I know its a chicken egg as the coop was in 'lock down' mode before I came into retrieve new eggs.

How rare is this. Only one silkie hen ... Is it her egg ?

IMG_20130602_123215.jpg

Last edited:
The largest egg I have heard about is around 3oz

Here is a chart
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/charts-and-quotes

unless someone is pranking you (placing a turkey or duck egg in your nest box) , you may have something that Guiness book of world records would be interested in. How are you weighing the eggs?

We have 4 Red Stars and one of them today layer a monster egg, it is 4.4 oz and 3 1/4 inches. I have pictures don't know how to post to this.

Wow -- that is twice the size of a "Large" grocery egg. To post a picture, when you click on reply -- there is a 'button' at the bottom with a paper clip symbol that says 'attach files'.
When you click it -- it will ask you where the file is, and you wait while it uploads then you have a choice of putting 'thumbnail' or 'full sized' file in your post. HTH. Let me know if more info is needed.

Congrats on the egg. Was it single or double yolk? Once I think I had a 3-yolk egg.

One of my precious 24 of age laying hens of different varieties gave me the largest egg thus far, 3.99 oz. I don't know which hen, but sweet baby, I hope it didnt hurt.

Attachments

• 20210330_171003.jpg
    20210330_171003.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210306-173417_HeimLife.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-173417_HeimLife.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom