Egg size

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yogi, Oct 15, 2012.

1. yogi

yogi Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    I have a 27 week old hen which about once a week lays a 4 oz egg. That is 48 oz/doz. Jumbo is ony 30 oz. Will it kill her?

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Does your hen seem to be in distress when the laying process is going on? Nature is amazing .... hopefully this hen can take it in stride and it is just part of her normal functioning.

3. yogi

yogi Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    I never see her lay it. It is one of my 6 Red Sex-Links

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I never weighed my eggs but my sex links regularly gave me eggs that wouldn't fit in the carton. They lived and laid for 4-5 years until I sold them.

5. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    wow 4 ounces egg is HUGE! Are you sure you don't have a turkey in the flock? lol The biggest egg I have gotten so far was 2.5 ounces out of one of my Speckled Sussex.

6. ChicKat

The largest egg I have heard about is around 3oz

Here is a chart
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/charts-and-quotes

unless someone is pranking you (placing a turkey or duck egg in your nest box) , you may have something that Guiness book of world records would be interested in. How are you weighing the eggs?

7. arpyhh

arpyhh Out Of The Brooder

We got our 10,(20 wk old) girls from the hatchery Sept 12- within 3 weeks we started getting eggs-We now get 10 eggs a day faithfully. We've gotten several jumbo size eggs that were double yolkers or had really huge yolks.

Today we got a HUGE egg, larger even than our largest Jumbo- we named it Torpedo. Due to the size we decided to do a size/weight comparison of the eggs we're getting. The majority of the eggs we get daily fall into the medium/large/Xlarge category. The 3 eggs on the right, the XL Jumbo and Torpedo were all double yolkers. :) (Somebody out there has a sore hiney I'm thinkin')

I sized them according to what felt right from my many years of store bought eggs. This is in no way official- just my own sizing chart :)

I LOVE GETTING EGGS!

:)

[​IMG]

8. ChicKat

Wow---nice visual.

Great eggs. You must have fabulous birds and do an excellent job managing them. What type of chicken is so productive and what management do you do -- anything special?

9. yogi

yogi Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    I have one red sex-link which lays a gigantic egg about every 3 to 4 days. They weigh 4 ounces. This is 48 oz/doz. Jumbo's are only about 30 oz/doz

10. arpyhh

arpyhh Out Of The Brooder

Mine are all red sexlinks.. I guess maybe it's not that uncommon for them to lay these gigantic eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by