Egg size

yogi

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 17, 2012
I have a 27 week old hen which about once a week lays a 4 oz egg. That is 48 oz/doz. Jumbo is ony 30 oz. Will it kill her?

I never see her lay it. It is one of my 6 Red Sex-Links

I never weighed my eggs but my sex links regularly gave me eggs that wouldn't fit in the carton. They lived and laid for 4-5 years until I sold them.

wow 4 ounces egg is HUGE! Are you sure you don't have a turkey in the flock? lol The biggest egg I have gotten so far was 2.5 ounces out of one of my Speckled Sussex.

We got our 10,(20 wk old) girls from the hatchery Sept 12- within 3 weeks we started getting eggs-We now get 10 eggs a day faithfully. We've gotten several jumbo size eggs that were double yolkers or had really huge yolks.

Today we got a HUGE egg, larger even than our largest Jumbo- we named it Torpedo. Due to the size we decided to do a size/weight comparison of the eggs we're getting. The majority of the eggs we get daily fall into the medium/large/Xlarge category. The 3 eggs on the right, the XL Jumbo and Torpedo were all double yolkers. :) (Somebody out there has a sore hiney I'm thinkin')

I sized them according to what felt right from my many years of store bought eggs. This is in no way official- just my own sizing chart :)

I LOVE GETTING EGGS!

:)

I have one red sex-link which lays a gigantic egg about every 3 to 4 days. They weigh 4 ounces. This is 48 oz/doz. Jumbo's are only about 30 oz/doz

Back
Top Bottom