egg size

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by omelette'smom, Sep 9, 2008.

1. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi everyone-i "adopted" 3 older cochin hens and i get an egg almost everyday:) I know the buff was sitting on them a few times but was curious if you can tell if the size of the egg is consistent on a mature hen. the egg this morning was a bit larger and in the same box as usual. however my blue girl visits that same box so i'm wondering if maybe she isn't earning her keep! there are six boxes-3 over 3 and the bottom right seems to be the coziest one for some reason!

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Usually a pullet that is new to laying lays smaller eggs and they grow as she matures.
    [​IMG]

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Kitty's correct!!

I'd add that they typically lay "about" the same sized egg; although, I do have one that every now & then lays what I call a "wombo" egg. The last one was over 4.0 ounces, but she typically lays a 2.5 - 2.6 oz. egg.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:As she said!

WELCOME!

5. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the welcome! Would you know if they would then lay a unique size to them or would they be random(ish). I just was wondering if maybe souffle isn't quite past her prime yet and giving a few presents while we thought it was sunny (side-up) the whole time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by