Egg size

mychickchick

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 26, 2014
Hello this is my first time with chickens.I have been getting 1 egg a day from my two leghorns and I have 1 Buff Orphington.I have gotten a few double yolks from the leg horns but the Buff was laying regular size eggs but Monday I got one the size of a bird egg which was darker in color today I got another smaller one lighter in color but it was laid in the run not the nest!# I don't kmow what could be wrong .Can someone give me some input on this??? I sure would appreciate it!
[/IMG]

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! That looks like what people call wind eggs, fart eggs or rooster eggs, they are usually just a glitch in the egg laying system when a small piece of reproductive tissue breaks away and is treated it like a yolk and a shell is formed around it. They are pretty common in new layers, old birds, or birds just stopping or starting a laying cycle, sometimes they just seem to show up randomly. The occasional one usually isn't anything to worry about, if you get a hen laying a lot of them, especially an older bird, it may be signaling the end of her egg laying.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Kelsie2290 has given you some good advice. I don't think you have any thing to be concerned about. Getting those double yolked eggs is nice. Some of my Black Sex Link hens occasionally lay double yolked eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting those eggs.

Hello Kellie 230 and Michael. Thanks so much for the information. I got my chickens in May at about 10 days old.I actually never heard of that but it makes me feel less nervous about them.I was surprised she laid the second one in the run. Thanks again I'm liking BYC!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh yes, completely normal. Until the young layers get their egg machines in gear, they can lay very small eggs, two eggs in one day, soft shells, no shells, all kinds of crazy things. As the birds grow, the eggs will grow larger and be laid in a good fashion.

Congrats on those first eggs!! Always Egg-citing to get those first eggs!

Enjoy all your adventures with your flock and I hope they continue to bring you great joy. :)

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes, I just a two pullets start laying and their eggs are still small. Give them a few weeks to get their egg laying organs running smoothly.

Congrats on the eggs. :D

Back
Top Bottom