Egg Song Breed Specific?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epeloquin, Oct 17, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have 3 Rhodies and 3 Brd Rocks. The Rocks lay their eggs with little more than a coo here and there.[​IMG] The Rhodies seem to feel the need to inform the whole town! [​IMG]

Do you see a difference between breeds as it relates to egg songs?

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I have 3 different breeds, they all sing, but can't tell which one is doing the most boasting. Some breeds might boast more than others . All I know is that when mine have completed their song there difinitely is an egg.

3. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    I've noticed with mine. My BR are usaually very quiet about laying their eggs. Now my EE like to make so much noise it sounds like we are killing them. [​IMG]

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    My BR is the loudest hen out there!!! ALWAYS talking and loves to sing her egg song BEFORE laying the egg!

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Absolutely. Some breeds tend to "announce" their work, or are more SHOCKED by what happened, more likely.[​IMG]

I've got bunches of hens that have never, ever said a peep when laying.

6. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    ok i've resisted asking, but here goes...

what do you guys mean by 'egg song'? i don't notice my hens saying anything but my roos all go off randomly, "b'gack!" and seem to feed off each other (hens and roos both), for several minutes at a time... they seem to do this if they're startled too, like when one of my big roos went after a smaller one the other day, the small one just started sounding off and everyone chimed in (no he wasn't hurt, but then again he is low man on the totem pole)

7. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Interesting [​IMG]

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:The "alarm sound" is what some folks attribute to the so-called "egg song". We don't fully understand the various calls of chickens and their applications as to when to use them. Chickens apparently do. I think the alarm is similar when one finds themselves alone and are frightened as well.

9. cindylo

cindylo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Idaho Falls, ID
    My girls are great "singers"! We don't have any roos. The 3 RIR's say BOKKK BAHHHHk BOKKKK (loudly for about 5 minutes) and the games are boastful too. They say "BAAAK BAAK BAAKKKK" just for a few seconds but very loudly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by