Egg Song

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pharmchickrnmom, Aug 15, 2010.

1. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    This morning I heard my first egg song. My girls are almost 18 weeks old and I think it was my barred rock that was singing. How long until she starts laying? She is really red, has a nice comb and wattles but isnt squatting yet. I have a glw who also has a red comb and wattles but no squatting. I am really hoping for eggs soon. DH opened the nest boxes and put in the chips and a golf ball. What do you think? Am I hoping too early? I know it was definately the egg song I was hearing. Input please!!!

2. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    I don't want to dissapoint you , but that "song"doesn't mean an egg all the time. If they are scare of something or see something strange for them, like a cat , a dog, a rat, somebody they don't know, they sing the same song.....But yours are going to lay very soon , I bet....

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I heard 'the song' a couple of weeks ago from my BO who is now 19 weeks. The BR joined in. I was really excited, but I haven't heard it since. I'm pretty sure they were freaked out about something. It went on about 10 minutes! Ah well, here's to an egg soon for both of us!

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Mine did it the first time about 2 weeks prior to laying and then not at all until they laid their first egg. I didn't realize what it was the first time it happened. My CM went off one afternoon like crazy in the nest box area and I ran out there to see what happened and to quiet her down. I felt like a guy trying unsuccessfully to turn off a car alarm. I was holding her and trying to comfort her but nothing seemed to work. It was so loud I was worried the neighbors would complain. Not all of them do it after they lay, oddly enough and one of my BO's does it before she lays her egg! My BA has never spoken up.

5. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Mine don't always do the egg song.
    Though this morning they all went on and on - all joining in.
    When I went to get the eggs this afternoon - no eggs in their usual spot (behind the lillies).
    I did a hunt and found the eggs in the nesting boxes!! [​IMG]
    So maybe they were carrying on cause they were laying in a different (albeit correct to me) spot.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Maybe Annabella your hens were singing because they got it right....but I doubt it!

The egg song is a variable thing, and your roos (if you have any) will often join in as they find the whole egg-laying thing very exiting too.

Sandie

7. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Thanks for your input and I will continue waiting (impatiently!) for that magic moment! Actually, my girls will be 19 weeks old on wednesday. At least their nest boxes are ready should the urge come about for them to lay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by