egg song?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by katssmilin, Jan 22, 2012.

1. katssmilin

katssmilin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    We just put a cam in our coop so we can see what the chickens are doing. In the mornings the one chicken stands in the middle of the coop clucking like crazy. I thought at first this was the sign of her getting ready to lay an egg...but I thought they only did this when they were on the nest and actually laying. Is this something they do before they go to the nest or is she clucking for another reason I'm unaware of?

2. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    mine sang egg song for a few days before they started laying

3. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    I have one that will occasionally stand in the middle of the coop, usually mid-morning, and cluck at the top of her luings for maybe 10 minutes or so. No rhyme nor reason to it that I can tell.... she's not laying an egg and neither is anyone else in the flock, nothing seems to be going on, and the rest of the chickens ignore her when she does it. I'm beginning to think it's the "crazy chicken song". [​IMG]

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    When and where and how often they do the "egg song" is highly variable, in my experience. My hens will sing it in the middle of the coop or when they're on the nest. Some days one or two will do it - other days more will do it. I even heard my rooster doing the egg song one day.

5. Qurus

Qurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Donna, Texas
    My Thelma just started laying, and here she belts out her rendition of the egg song, with Louise and Maverick supporting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by