Egg Song

Yeah got our first egg when we came home today so the egg song this morning was right on!!!!!!! It was broke (don't know how it got that way) but we got an EGG!!!!!!!

I Don't Know About This Egg Song... But In Two MorE Weeks It'll Be 6 Months... And If Those Hens Don't LaY At Least 1 Egg Between The 4 Of TheM, I'm Gonna Start Singing Them The Crock Pot Song.

Lol I know it seems like forever when you don't have any laying!! I'm a newbie too this is my first flock and I ended up with 4 hens and 3 roosters lol so we named the other two roosters Thanksgiving and Christmas if you get my drift. I'm gonna be hatching some out. What area are you in? I find it best to search craigslist and find local farms that have eggs and chicks you'll find them cheaper than ordering online but if you order chicks online make sure its a well know hatchery with good reviews or you'll end up with a shipment of dead chicks. Good luck hope your others start laying soon
fl.gif

That's a little bit better odds then we had. We originally started out with 7 chicks and ended up having just 2 hens and 5 roosters.
barnie.gif
I ended up buying 2 more pullets off craigslist and getting rid of 4 of the roosters for free. We actually ended up giving away our last rooster yesterday so now we have just the 4 hens. I will keep my eyes open on craigslist then and see what pops up.

On a side note, I live not far away from a "reputable" hatchery but they wont let you order less then 25 chicks and you CAN NOT come to the hatchery and pick them up. They insist on mailing them to you . . .

my silkies will sing a very strange song when they are building up to an egg.. its more of a wild raptor call or tropical monkey cry or something kinda eery, im gona try to get a tape of it.
Well...birds are the only dinosaurs that survived the ice age. .... One of our hens is so loud that people can hear her two blocks ways...and while it's called an egg "song" it's not always this melodic:

Besides our Wellsummer, Lela, who didn't lay her first egg until she was 10 months old all of our 2012 hens laid by 20 weeks. The SLW and the GLW of the 2013 hatch both laid on 7/15, the day they turned 16 weeks and the other two, a Buff Orp and a Copper Maran, laid soon after.

My friend has the "siblings" of the SLW and the GLW (same parents,same hatch) and she just got her very first egg.. The only things I did different from her was get them out free ranging (in a tractor) at 8 weeks and add buttermilk to their feed. I seriously doubt that eating bugs accounts for my hens laying 6 weeks sooner than hers but if I ever figure out what I did differently I'll post it.

Last edited:
That's a little bit better odds then we had. We originally started out with 7 chicks and ended up having just 2 hens and 5 roosters.
barnie.gif
I ended up buying 2 more pullets off craigslist and getting rid of 4 of the roosters for free. We actually ended up giving away our last rooster yesterday so now we have just the 4 hens. I will keep my eyes open on craigslist then and see what pops up.

On a side note, I live not far away from a "reputable" hatchery but they wont let you order less then 25 chicks and you CAN NOT come to the hatchery and pick them up. They insist on mailing them to you . . .
Oh my goodness I that 4 hens 3 roosters was bad I don't feel so bad now. We raised all of ours they are almost 22 weeks and we are keeping 1 roo the named mutt (not sure what breed he is a mixture
hu.gif
) he's head of the coop and the ladies love him and the other 2 roos are named Thanksgiving and Christmas if you get my drift
droolin.gif
. Craigslist I think is the best place to find local peeps. That sucks that the hatchery would let you order what you want and come pick them up. Sounds like they just don't want people in so what are they hiding? We have a local hatchery and you can order what ever you want eggs that are due to hatch any day you want, peeps,pullets,roos the only down fall is that they only have 3 or 4 breeds which are egg layers or broilers and their either red or white and I want different colors in my flock. but I might get some broilers for the freezer. Oh and we got another EGG this morning I put wooden eggs in the box and I think it worked because they didn't crack this one!!! So now I have to decide if we keep the "2nd"egg for the bator or let me son eat it I would like to put one of their first egg in the bator and i'm starting that on tues so maybe I will let him eat this one and hope I get another by tues

I got my rooster on April 7. i guess he was around a week old. he still has not crowed but the other roosters that are the same age have been crowing for over a month. it this normal?

I Don't Know About This Egg Song... But In Two MorE Weeks It'll Be 6 Months... And If Those Hens Don't LaY At Least 1 Egg Between The 4 Of TheM, I'm Gonna Start Singing Them The Crock Pot Song.
lau.gif
Too funny!

My pullets started laying at 20 weeks. I was waiting to hear a melodious egg song. Instead, what I keep hearing sounds more like a woman in labor. Poor things:)!

I got my rooster on April 7. i guess he was around a week old. he still has not crowed but the other roosters that are the same age have been crowing for over a month. it this normal?
I have had roos who crowed in the first week and once had one that never crowed in 7 years. It's all normal.

Back
Top Bottom