EGG splosion!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TanksHill, Jul 31, 2008.

1. TanksHill

TanksHill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Vista, Ca.
    Ok, so I'm rather new to you forum but I figured if I wanted sympathy this would be the best place for it. I have allways sarted with Pullets, just easier for me. We have no electricty to our coop etc.. A few weeks ago we imported several eggs from my sis in law and put them in the hen house. We had one hatch last week and it's doing marvalous. My neighbor who has much more expierence than I had been checking the remaning eggs. Well today I discovered one of the remaining eggs was being eaten by ants. I was bummed out. So I had to remove the hen off the eggs and shoo her out side. Then I grabbed this long handled brush to scoop out the ant egg. I accidentally bummped the other egg and WHAMO!!!! POP!!! The dang thing exploded. Crap and smeeellly egg stuff flew everywhere. I almost barfed. It was about that time my husband drove his lawn tractor the other direction. After I cleaned up the mess I had to of course take a shower.

Go ahead and laugh, it's ok. I guess I will just chalk this one up as expierence. I had to share. It makes me feel better. Gina

2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I am sooooo sorry for laughing but I am dying laughing right now! That sounds like something that would happen to me lol. And the husband going the other way....sounds just like mine!!! lol Oh and btw [​IMG]

3. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    [​IMG] sorry i had to laugh too. i had that happen in a bator before, never thought about it happening in with broodies. i'll definately watch that one never happens,lol.
    thanks for the warning!!
    silkie

ps. [​IMG]

4. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    [​IMG] btw [​IMG]

5. kychickenmama

kychickenmama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    DH just had that happen with a bator egg last night...whew... stinky! [​IMG]

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I'm laughing with you, not at you. [​IMG]

7. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Ugh, I know that stinky smell first hand!!! Sorry about that!! Where did you import your eggs from?

8. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Holy cow! That would be awful to be smeared with a rotton exploding egg! [​IMG]

I'm so sorry, but I can't help laughing, too!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    EEK! What a mess!! I'm just waiting for MY day of exploding eggs! [​IMG] I WILL come!

10. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    I once house, cat, and great-aunt set while an older friend from church went out of town. The heat was miserable, I was alergic to cats and I felt totally out of place at this friend's house. One afternoon, after taking allergy medicine which made me sleepy, I awoke to a sound that it took a few moments to identify.

Apparently Great-Aunt Melanie had decided to make egg salad, but she had fallen asleep with the eggs on the boil. I entered the room at a run, the smell led me there, the next couple of explosions kept me vigilant as I ducked for cover and snuck up on the stove top.

Needless to say, the kitchen clean up was awful. Those dreadful cats did not eat one speck of the exploded egg, in fact they stayed in another room! Great-aunt was so upset. I did not sleep easy the rest of the time there without checking on her cooking plans!

I feel your pain!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by