Egg storage ?

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
How do you all store your eggs. I heard from someone that you don't need to refrigerate fresh unwashed eggs with the bloom still on them is this true? how do you all store your eggs. I haven't been refrigerating mine but I eat them the day after they are laid. I want to be able to give an informed answer to my new egg customers now that I am getting more eggs
big_smile.png
. I will probably usually just sell them enough eggs for about 1 week or may be even just a few days because they are all neighbors. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Henry

I feel like such a nub but I have a question. What do you mean by "the bloom still on them"?

Is there a certain amount of time after the egg has been layed before you can eat it?

No you can eat if pretty much as soon as they are layed. The bloom is a layer on the outside of the shell that protects the egg from things trying to enter through the shell and membrane. The bloom is removed with the washing of the egg and can allow bacteria to get inside the eggs
sad.png
. That is why I have just been taking any large materials off the egg with a scrubber brush. Does anyone else know if the eggs need to be refrigerated?

Thanks,
Henry

I have been storing mine in the frig. But we don't keep many. I keep a 1.5 dozen egg carton in there and if we get more than 18 eggs, I give some away.

Wiki Answers claims that eggs are good, if kept refrigerated for over three months.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_will_fresh_chicken_eggs_keep_in_the_refrigerator

But here is a good article from the Virginia Cooperative Extension that gives good suggestions about how to handle fresh eggs that you want to sell.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/poultry/factsheets/9.html

I thought it was pretty helpful.

Cassandra

I'd refrigerate any eggs I planned to sell/give to other people; just for their peace of mind, and mine. If I get an egg that's just been laid, I let it cool down on the counter before putting it in the fridge.
cool.png

Thanks I read the article so you always have to refrigerate eggs even if you are only keeping them for a few days and its like 75F is your house?

I am not sure what I heard btw I will tell people to keep them refrigerated if they are not going to eat them the next day. Thanks for your input. anyone else?

Henry

Last edited:
i get my eggs in wash them let them air dry.an then put them in cartons an in the fridge they go.

Back
Top Bottom