Egg Stuck in Prolapsed Vent

Hey, I have a 2 year old ex battery hen who is having some trouble at the moment. Yesterday I noticed a slight prolapse and some blood around her vent (also dripping white urates) this is the same thing that happened to another of my hens a year ago. I cleaned her vent yesterday and applied some sudocrem. She was still running around happy and no problems so just kept an eye on her. This morning I came down to the run and she was stood in the penguine stance position and when I looked, she was prolapsed and the egg was stuck in the prolapse. She was in so much pain and distress. I brought her in and put her in some warm water and 15 mins later I was able to manually express the egg out. The prolapse has gone back in but she is still uncomfortable by the looks of it, she shudders everytime she poos! I have cleaned her vent and gave her some anti-inflammatories to help with the pain and inflammation. Shes eating and drinking well but shes currently indoors drying off, she is sleeping a bit but had a bit of an ordeal this morning. My local vets are not seeing poultry at the moment due to avian flu so I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to help speed up the recovery of her vent? I believe the egg got stuck because her vent is so swollen. I can keep her on anti inflammatories to help but worried about tomorrow morning when another egg comes. Just not sure what to do at the moment x
Soak her in warm epson salts water, that will relax her and the egg can pass. May take 45 min be patient! 😢🐓 the prolapse should repair on it on but soaking 10 min or so each hour. will help.

Back
Top Bottom