Egg suck to ducks cloaca!

Apr 28, 2020
Montgomery County Pennsylvania
I was talking care of my duck when I noticed this. The egg itself is all the way out but the egg has no shell and is stuck to her by some kind of thread it trails behind. Before I could get to her to look at the situation another duck poked at the egg and broke it. Should I be concerned about anything internal. I looked at her but but nothing is there.

Attachments

• 398F98D0-2F4C-4BBF-A80E-00DBEF65A146.jpeg
    398F98D0-2F4C-4BBF-A80E-00DBEF65A146.jpeg
    656.8 KB · Views: 9
I don't raise ducks, but if that was a chicken I would separate her so the others can't peck at her and make sure the egg and membrane come out. I give extra calcium supplements to hens that have soft shell eggs and I think there is something similar for ducks.

I hope @Miss Lydia can be more helpful.

Calcium Gluconate is the best for getting an egg moving if stuck. 1 ml over a small tasty treat or orally
Oyster shells or calcium citrate can help if seeing many soft shells. Calcium citrate can be sprinkled over a tasty treat too or sprinkled over feed. keep oyster shell in a container close to their feed but not in it. They eat it as needed.
How does she look this morning is everything back inside? since the egg was completely out hopefully she'll be okay.

Calcium Gluconate is the best for getting an egg moving if stuck. 1 ml over a small tasty treat or orally
Oyster shells or calcium citrate can help if seeing many soft shells. Calcium citrate can be sprinkled over a tasty treat too or sprinkled over feed. keep oyster shell in a container close to their feed but not in it. They eat it as needed.
How does she look this morning is everything back inside? since the egg was completely out hopefully she'll be okay.
I am at work this morning so I will check her when I get home.

She is acting completely normal. I looked at her vent, and it looked normal. My main concern was that the soft egg was still connected and was trailing behind, but once it broke I did not know if any egg liquid was in her body, and if that would cause a problem l. I feed her oyster shells normally, and is given layer feed from the local mill. This particular duck commonly has soft eggs. The others lay just fine.

Back
Top Bottom