egg thiefs :( can they be stoped

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mama dixie, Aug 15, 2011.

1. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    I have buff ducks and each year they make nests and hatch out babies. we have our sons friends come over and see them and how mama takes care of them and we make gifts of them or sell them to people for egg layers and slug warriors. this last year we have had a horrid time with ravens crows mice and even rats stealing the eggs. one morning I went to let them out of there shed and there was a dead rat and all the ducks were around it looking at it as if to say mess with us one more time and all of you are goners. we keep all food picked up and locked away I just dont know how to protect the eggs from these nasty thieves. we have tried rat traps mice traps live traps and pellet guns. any ideas? I feel so bad for them they are such good mama's

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Crows and fruit rats down here are awful. I had a covered nest outside of my chicken coop and the crows would go in there and get the eggs. I finally built an additional nest box in the coop and no problems since. As long as my ducks laid their eggs in the duck run (covered) there were no problems.

Do they make their nests in protected/covered areas or out in the open?

I tried everything to keep the rats away, they don't take eggs but fruit rats are relatively small. I keep the food up at night, used traps, and now I am trying Bobcat Urine! It was recommended to my husband by some guys that live in a more rural area. Ordered it on ebay. It seems to be working except that with all the rain we've had, I have to add more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by