Egg tray at hatch or not?

Keeping the eggs in the turning tray past day 18, whether it's upright or on the side, makes it more difficult for the chicks to get into the proper position for hatching if they are still being turned. They need to be still in order to get themselves orientated properly. Once chicks start hatching, the orientation has already happened, so getting rolled by an already hatched chick doesn't do any harm.
Oh yes it's important they stop getting turned at lock down

Sorry if I have caused confusion....I was not meaning to keep TURNING the eggs past day 18, I merely meant whether to keep the tray in to minimise movement of the now STATIC eggs by other chicks who have already hatched or are in the process. The tray itself does not do the turning, the incy does that. The tray just keeps them in place so that they turn evenly and the full 180 degrees. It is just a piece of plastic with egg-shaped holes that cradle the egg enough to keep them in place whilst allowing the floor of the incubator to move from side to side, turning the eggs where they sit . If I were to leave it in for hatch, the turner would be off from day 18 so there would be no orientation issues.

I also think they are not too completely aware of our "turning trays".
thumb.aspx

They don't hold on to any of the eggs other than to cradle the outer portion of the egg. The way the egg is turned is the bottom interior portion of the incubator moves back and forth to make the eggs rotate adequately to make it a turn.

Hope that helps. I also have this question, as well. I don't know if I need to just take everything out and put some of that liner that you can put in cabinets that is soft but will still allow the chicks to have some grip and not just slide around on a plastic surface.

They have hatching trays like these on ebay (not specifically made for our incubators):
s-l1600.jpg

Why wouldn't that cause harm to the chickens when they are hatching? Far more areas of interference than the low profile "turning tray" that is in the rcom.

Genuinely curious as I have a hatch hopefully coming up and I'm praying those babies pop out! :D Thanks for you guys' opinions and candor!

I keep mine on the side to hatch. I also keep them in something to stop them from being rolled around. I don't know if it's the best way but I am curious about this too

I also think they are not too completely aware of our "turning trays".
thumb.aspx

That is EXACTLY the type of tray I am referring to Kenny, except that mine is the 'standard 20' for chicken eggs and the one you are showing is, I assume, the standard 50, for the bigger model of R Com? I can't see it interfering with hatch in any way, but would be interested on views, now that people can see what I am referring to. Thanks xxx

Back
Top Bottom