egg turner help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cryptkeeper, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Cryptkeeper

Cryptkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I am going to start building an incubator and want to put a manual turner in it. How do turners work? are the eggs just supposed to tip / - \ or how does this work. . I would just turn them by hand but have read a lot of people say there is too much heat and humidity swings having to open the bator up 3x a day.
    This will be my first go round at this so any all advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. justduckyinVT

justduckyinVT Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    I need an answer to this question too. Bump.

3. justafeedboy

justafeedboy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    in my own little world
    I built my turner out of PVC pipe, it was a rectangle in shape, on the two longer sides in the middle was a t connector. The vertical portion of the t went through a hole that i drilled in the sides of the incubator, I added a piece of PVC and a t connector on the outside of the incubator to act as a handle. I attached a piece of 1/4 " hole hardware cloth to the rectangle that I created with zip ties. It worked fine to turn the eggs. I turned the eggs 3 or 5 five times a day trying to reach a pre-measured angle of 45 degrees. The eggs were in a egg carton bottom with the bottoms cut out.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    You can also do a search here for others that have built egg turners. :thumbsup

5. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I hear some people just put a PVC pipe down the middle of an egg carton. Have the pipe long enough so part of it sticks out of the incubator through a hole, From there you just turn the pipe a bit, and it tilts the egg carton just like any store bought turner would do. Good luck making a turner [​IMG]

6. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    [​IMG]
    MIne was a picture frame with a piece of plexiglass, I then attached an 18 egg carton , put it in my incubator, drilled a long screw thru one end and rotated it using a screw driver.[​IMG]
    Good luck
    Ayda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by