Egg turner not working!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jag, Apr 20, 2011.

1. jag

jag Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    I am on day 17 of my incubation; my chicks should hatch Sunday and just today I realized that my egg turner is not 'turning' - the motor is going, it's making noise, but it's not turning. What are the chances for these chickies?!? [​IMG]

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    What choice do you have but to see it through. We'll cross our fingers and hope. [​IMG]

Rancher

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Yes, not much you can do now but hope for the best. There's still a very good chance they will hatch fine, so don't despair.

[​IMG]

4. jag

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    Thanks for crossing your fingers for me!! These will be miracle chickens, so far it has been an uphill battle. I started with 42 eggs and I am down to only 15 that were fertile. The power has also gone out twice during the time the incubator has been going. Sheesh! Luckily we were here and got the generator going quickly!!
    It never fails that I lose power when I plug that thing in! Not once yet. Now the turner. I wish I had noticed it before today.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Don't feel bad, those things are so slow to move that sometimes I have to write myself a note about where it was. I just started the bator the other day and this is our prime time of year for losing power. The generator is a booger to get moved and running, no idea what I'll do if the power does go!

Now all you have to worry about is what I worry about- all roosters. [​IMG]

6. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Now look! You asked a question and we answered cuz we care. So please let us know how things turned out, okay?

Thanks

rancher

7. jag

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    I will definitely let you know what happens. I took the turner out and have been manually turning them today (and will until Friday.) We are trying to figure out if it's working or not. The arm seems to be moving, but it doesn't seem to be turning the trays. Which is weird, it's not hung up or anything. At this point, we marked it and we are periodically checking to see if it is indeed working or not. I need it for my next hatch...I have been collecting eggs to put in as soon as this hatch is done and my rooster, finally, seems to be doing his job and working overtime now. LOL!
    Anyway...I am going to candle them tonight and see if they are all still good and chirp to them a bit. [​IMG]
    Thanks!![​IMG]

8. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    They do turn rather slowly and it's hard to see them move. Of course if the eggs are in the same position as when things started you can tell. It just might be that the connecting arms are not pinned where they should be. You should be able to wiggle the trays a little.

Got pics of the motor side?

9. jag

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    It's working, Yay! [​IMG] Last night I candled the eggs and they seem fine...actually almost too dark to see anything the eggs are so full. I didn't see any blood rings! I put the turner back in and it is definitely working now. So hopefully, I'll hear some chirping soon. [​IMG]

10. jag

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    Day 20 - I have a pip and 2 rockers!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by