egg turning after day 18

carly90

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2015
Somebody told me today egg turning after day 18 is ok.( as I've alwaysthought against it). What are people's thoughts

A chicken doesn't know day 1 from day 18, she continues to turn eggs all day and night until they are hatched...

The main reason for the 'no turn' rule is to remind you to remove automated egg turners, as they can be dangerous to hatching birds... And the timing also coincides with the traditional 'lock down', thus even if you were hand turning and had no turner to remove or shut off, you wouldn't be turning anymore anyway during 'lock down' as it contradicts that process...

In short you can turn eggs every day, even hatch day if you choose, anyone that has watched a hatch knows your careful turning is nothing compared to the bulldozing the first chick does to the other eggs once hatched... And lock down isn't even necessary, it's main purpose is to boost humidity, if you can do that without actually locking down you can skip lock down all together as well...

welcome-byc.gif

You may want to try posting on this thread as it deals specifically with hatching and incubating. People who follow the thread will be able to provide you with their ideas: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

Somebody told me today egg turning after day 18 is ok.( as I've alwaysthought against it). What are people's thoughts

I never do lockdown. Mainly because I did an experiment with my Indian Runner duck hen's clutch by marking the eggs with a pencil and she was rotating them even on day 27 and on day 28 I couldn't see the eggs since she would get off the nest. I keep rotating until I feel pecking. Once I feel pecking I don't touch the egg unless I notice the chick is pecking the eggshell to the ground then I'll rotate it so the chick is pecking towards the sky.

Back
Top Bottom