1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg turning gray?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckielub, Sep 30, 2011.

1. duckielub

duckielub Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Kentwood
    Does anyone know if it's normal for a fertile khaki campbell egg to turn gray towards the end of incubation? The last couple of days, it has gotten so dark. It looks so odd next the newly placed eggs in the incubator. I can't see inside it minus the air space, so I'm hoping it's full of happy, healthy baby duckling. Does anyone have any experience with eggs turning colors like this? [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    how big is the air cell? it might be bad??? thats what my khaki eggs looked like when they went bad?

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Grey is not so good- but dark is..so really it is very hard for anyone on here to say for sure what is going on with the egg without candling it for themselves. The best way for you to check though- is to look directly around the ring of the aircell. Even just before hatching there is usually a small section where there is a bubble of clear area. You can sometimes still see a vein there. Also at the other end of the egg- if your candling light is good enough you can pick up the area where the yolk sac is- around that area there is often also a cleared area. If the whole egg is uniformly the same colour though - it is indication that the duckling has died sometime before.

4. duckielub

Aug 20, 2011
    Kentwood
    Thanks for your replies. I am absolutely sick to my stomach about it. I sat there and watched this little duck grow every day, until he totally filled up the shell and I couldn't see any more movement. I can see the air sac clearly, possibly a vein (POSSIBLY), but the egg is definitely a marbled gray color. Lord knows I don't want an exploded egg in my incubator, but I hate to throw it out. And I have a hen that FINALLY went broody, but she's sitting on 10-day old eggs, and I don't want her to have an exploded egg under her either - what a mess! I dunno. Hatching day was this coming Wednesday.

Maybe I'm taking too big a chance by holding onto it until then? I can't wait until the day I have enough experience with this to make the call on my own.

5. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Duckielub, can you put a piece of cloth or paper towel loosely over top the gray egg, just in case it is bad so the "explosion" is contained somewhat? Will that affect the egg if it's still good?

6. duckielub

Aug 20, 2011
    Kentwood
    Hmmmmmm..... very, very good idea. I think I might try that. I thought about putting it in a ziplock in the incubator and opening it a few times a day for air, but if it's good, would hate to alter the "conditions" like that. I think I might do the paper towel thing. Thanks for the idea!

7. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    If I were you I would leave it be and risk the explosion. Rather that then loose a baby.

Good Luck
    Emily

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    If it explodes, all the other eggs in the bator will be lost. A paper towel over the top won't help either. It is a call you have to make on if you are willing to wait it out, or think the egg needs to go. Have you smelled the egg to make sure it doesn't have an off scent?

Even when this close to hatch day you should be able to see some movement inside when you candle. Sorry you are having to make this call, never easy no matter how many times you have incubated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by