Egg white. Kind of thin

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Layers, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Layers

Layers New Egg

Sep 19, 2016
    Southeast Michigan
    Hello, my ISA browns have been laying for about 6 weeks now. I think the egg whites are a little thin. I expected a firm, or stiff egg white from such fresh eggs, but they seem to spread out in the pan more than they should. They are pretty consistent and firm a couple of inches out from the yolk, but then a thin layer runs outside of that.

I've raised Rhode island reds for eggs before and they always maintained a firm egg white without the thin watery stuff running off. I've read a post here about defective eggs and there is a section about what I'm describing. Should I be concerned? Is there something wrong with my eggs.

2. I believe it is just new layers...Up the feed and cut out treats/snacks.......

3. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    If they have been laying 6 weeks, I would think they are through the new egg laying issues. I had one of my hen's laying watery eggs. I had been feeding them too much junk food (people food scraps) - cut that out for the most part and haven't had any issues since. I did notice that all of my watery eggs were also mal-formed (flat on one side). Are you seeing anything on the outside when they are watery?
  4. @JoshFig has a good idea about what happens...Back pat to him........It takes Pullets up to a year to start producing great eggs if being fed so called treats? I call it fillers....Layers need a balanced diet....

Feed a diet approved for Layers, Grit, Oyster shell and you will have great long living Birds....5% in snacks is a Tablespoon a day per Bird....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  6. Layers

Layers New Egg

Sep 19, 2016
    Southeast Michigan
    Thank you all so very much! I do not see anything unusual about the eggs shape or color. I do give them snacks; but snacks that are labeled for chickens. I'll cut that back. They are very healthy-acting birds and follow me all over the place. When It's snack time, they jump up on my lap looking for a handout! [​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by