Egg white like fluid

Ponte

Songster
Apr 4, 2019
Miami Florida
One of my buff Orpington just began giving us eggs. Today I saw her leaving the nesting box so I went to get the egg and saw on the board outsize the nesting box a puddle, 4-5 inch circumference, clear with the viscosity of raw egg white.
What was it ? (Sorry no picture)

It does sound like albumen. It’s likely she laid a soft egg and it broke. As long as the rest came out, yolk and shell (looks like crumpled paper), she’ll be fine. Soft eggs are usually normal in a pullets first couple of months. But make sure she has access to oyster shell, even if she already has layers feed, laying birds can always do with the extra calcium.

And as someone told me, if you see something weird, best to get a picture of it!

1D7D53B1-812A-49BF-961A-2D5102C32D93.jpeg

This is a soft egg with albumen around it and you can see the small crumbled shell on top of the soft egg. Probably a double yolk egg that got double shelled instead, given that the pullet who use to lay these laid huge doubles.

F7E80C54-EA26-4803-95D7-ABAABA58FF84.jpeg

The liquid in your picture is what I found.
The egg I picked up was normal and I did not find crumbled shell so does that mean that she laid two eggs, One complete and one partial ?

Last edited:
The liquid in your picture is what I found.
The egg I picked up was normal and I did not find crumbled shell so does that mean that she laid two eggs, One complete and one partial ?

It’s very possible. I wouldn’t worry unless she starts laying like this often.

Back
Top Bottom