Egg Whites of Boiled Eggs Not Smooth?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IndianaHomestea, Oct 31, 2012.

1. IndianaHomestea

IndianaHomestea Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    New Palestine, Indiana
    For several months now, when boiled, part of the egg whites from one of our hens eggs comes off when removing the shell, resulting in an egg with big craters from all of the white that is missing.

I'm assuming this has something to do with her diet. She's a mixed breed (I think... I bought her full grown) and we feed her standard layer crumbles from tractor supply.

Is it a calcium deficiency?

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
  3. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    The fresher the egg, the stickier the shell :) Generally, eggs that are 2 weeks or older will peel more cleanly. Lots of folks swear by baking their eggs rather than boiling them. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to the next time I have to do up a batch. I'm sure others will chime in with their tips and tricks, too.

Along with their feed, you should make grit and either oyster shell or ground eggshells available to them; they're really good at sensing what their bodies need. We have a small container of each in their run and just keep them topped off.

HTH
    Mickey

4. IndianaHomestea

IndianaHomestea Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    New Palestine, Indiana
    oops I should have searched first :) I usually do, but I couldn't think of the right search terms.

Anyway, thanks for the info, greatly appreciated as usual!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Also it helps to put some ice cubes or very cold water in with the eggs immediately after boiling. Chilling them helps but IDK why.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by