1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg with "bag" in it ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dirtybug, Oct 19, 2009.

1. dirtybug

dirtybug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    Chester Co. PA
    so I've gotten lots of eggs from the 3 layers I've had for about a week and finally cooked some up.
    a few of the eggs had whats best described as a bag inside the shell, I had to crack the shell then through a thin film almost like I could have removed the shell and had an egg in a bag but the shell was sorta attached.
    I've never had an egg like this in the past.

??

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    All eggs have a membrane going all the way around the inside of the shell. Fresh eggs and eggs from chickens fed better diets than commercial layers have thicker membranes. Cracking eggs from my flock is much different than cracking store bought eggs. Sometimes I get through the shell and then have to peel the egg apart because the membrane underneath is still intact.

3. dirtybug

dirtybug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    Chester Co. PA
    glad to hear we're not gonna die from eating them [​IMG] It was hard enough convincing the wife to eat backyard eggs, if she saw the membrane when I was cracking them that would have been the end for her and I'd have alot of eggs to eat on my own.

4. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    You will also find that the shell is much harder than store bought eggs. I also think that the yolk has a different feel....coats the inside of your mouth........yum, just thinking about it makes me want to go and soft boil an egg! Hmm, now that is a good idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by