egg with crack/hole but chick not coming out

WhisperingWinds

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
Morganton, NC
out of 6 eggs 5 have hatched great (under hen)
last egg has a crack and little hole in it, I can hear little peeps coming from it,
it has been like this for at least 4 hours...

How long before I should help it out... or should I ???
Will the hen?

The Hen will not help the chick out. She knows if it can't get out on its own, it won't make it. It's best to leave it alone

Any news on the last egg has it hatched yet. i just had the same thing hen had seven eggs .five hatched one had pipped both were peeping . Next morning six babies but the last one had piped internaly but not thru the shell it didnt make it . So sad but these things happen hope all is well with your last one

All six are out and under momma! I just checked on her, it is getting cold here in the night this week so I didn't want to mess with her too much but was able to lift her up a little and saw the new little one, still kind of wet looking, not fluffy yet, but moving! So I just let them be!

Thanks for advice!

Momma Hen is doing great!

Humans can't do better than a GOOD Momma Hen, they automatically know what to do. I don't think I've ever seen a Hen post here looking for help
wink.png

funny...LOL

I have been nervous, as I have read about hens pecking and being mean to the babies, and getting up and leaving them....
the past two weeks we have had 70's and 80's during the days and high 50's and 60's at night.
Of course last night cold front moved in, and we are only making it to 60's during the day and going low 40's at night.
The coop is not heated... so I have all kinds of fears going through me.
Part of me thinks she sat on those eggs for three weeks and obviously kept them warm enough as they have hatched! lol
So I know she can keep the babies warm, just get worried about the momma not doing her job.

This is her first hatch and mine ;-)

But so far all seems well!

A lot of times WE help because WE think it would be better. WE do it to make OURSELVES feel better, but it may not be in the best interest of the birds. Bird have been hatching eggs for what? a billion years & WE think we can do better, that funny
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom