Egg with NO shell?

Traffie Chickens

Songster
Apr 20, 2024
Hi everyone! So yesterday we thought that our hen Sage was egg bound, so we brought her inside, gave her an epsom bath, And set up a little pen for her for the night. But this morning I found a super smelly shell-less egg splattered over her bed. And now her poop looks really weird.it sorta looks like it is half raw egg white. Is this normal for being egg bound? Thanks! 😊
image.jpg

An egg with no shell could be a sign of an infection.
Is a vet an option?

Could be a sign of calcium deficiency as well as infection. It's good that she pushed out the egg.

I would suggest giving her calcium for at least 5 days. If you have powder, a quarter of a tea spoon divided twice per day should do it (so 1/8 twice per day). You can dilute it in some water and mash it with your finger until it dissolves. Have someone else hold her, pinch the beak gently with your hand until she opens it and pour the liquid slowly. If you have calcium tablets give her one per day (you can also break it in two and give twice per day to even it out). It will help with expelling egg debris and form proper shells.

I would also suggest whatever broad spectrum antibiotic you have on hand. You can give it to her twice per day alongside the calcium. Dosage varies depending on the drugs you got. It will fight off any infection caused by leftover material until she expels it. If an infection is the cause in the first place, it gets more complicated, but an antibiotic would still help.

I had a hen that started laying rubber eggs with a final one without a shel last month. Started her on the above regiment and she immediately perked up. Started laying normal eggs after 3 days. It's my go to combo for egg/reproductive system issues. It usually works great unless it's something notoriously hard to treat like a salpingitis infection.

Could be a sign of calcium deficiency as well as infection. It's good that she pushed out the egg.

I would suggest giving her calcium for at least 5 days. If you have powder, a quarter of a tea spoon divided twice per day should do it (so 1/8 twice per day). You can dilute it in some water and mash it with your finger until it dissolves. Have someone else hold her, pinch the beak gently with your hand until she opens it and pour the liquid slowly. If you have calcium tablets give her one per day (you can also break it in two and give twice per day to even it out). It will help with expelling egg debris and form proper shells.

I would also suggest whatever broad spectrum antibiotic you have on hand. You can give it to her twice per day alongside the calcium. Dosage varies depending on the drugs you got. It will fight off any infection caused by leftover material until she expels it. If an infection is the cause in the first place, it gets more complicated, but an antibiotic would still help.

I had a hen that started laying rubber eggs with a final one without a shel last month. Started her on the above regiment and she immediately perked up. Started laying normal eggs after 3 days. It's my go to combo for egg/reproductive system issues. It usually works great unless it's something notoriously hard to treat like a salpingitis infection.
I have been giving her egg shells crushed into powder for calcium.

Thanks! We got this, does it look like what you meant. We couldn’t find a non flavored one, so I just crush one up and give it to her?
IMG_1166.jpeg

Thanks! We got this, does it look like what you meant. We couldn’t find a non flavored one, so I just crush one up and give it to her? View attachment 3833250
That works. It has a bunch of other ingredients, but people on byc have been giving them to chickens before without issues. I'd suggest half a tablet per day. You can put the half in her beak whole or crush and dissolve it into a spoonful of water.

That works. It has a bunch of other ingredients, but people on byc have been giving them to chickens before without issues. I'd suggest half a tablet per day. You can put the half in her beak whole or crush and dissolve it into a spoonful of water.
Ok thanks!

Hi everyone! So yesterday we thought that our hen Sage was egg bound, so we brought her inside, gave her an epsom bath, And set up a little pen for her for the night. But this morning I found a super smelly shell-less egg splattered over her bed. And now her poop looks really weird.it sorta looks like it is half raw egg white. Is this normal for being egg bound? Thanks! 😊 View attachment 3832597
eggs with no shell it’s calcium deficiency
try giving her Cuttlefish bone supplements i recently find out that it help with egg shell my new bird started laying egg i find some spots started cuttlefish supplement and egg come out whole hard shell and perfect shape

i also bought some calcium supplements that shows cures for eggs u can use that too

Attachments

• IMG_1534.jpeg
    IMG_1534.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 2
Lo and behold, After giving her tums for 5 days she laid an egg this morning!
image.jpg
And is it fine to eat since she has been consuming tums for awhile? Thank you for all your guys help with her!

Back
Top Bottom