Egg with no shell?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sevenchickens, Apr 23, 2009.

1. sevenchickens

sevenchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Michigan
    This morning, earlier than usual, there was an egg in the nesting box with no shell (but intact membrane). Has anyone ever seen this? Is it indicative of a mineral deficiency? My girls are out on pasture, have oyster shell and quality feed...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I have seen this. Sometimes it just happens. Especially if the hen is young. I don't know why. Not every egg can be perfect.
    Any one else have any ideas?

3. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I had a hen a coulpe years back that did this once a month like clockwork.

inspect carefully. If the egg has any other signs of being off...blood spots, foul-ish discharges on it, or the hen herself has something looks like it might be sickness...cull or fix it. It can be a sign of BAD disease ...the flock-killing kind.

Some hens just do it every now and then.

Who knows why? Enjoy, they DO taste just like the rest...just not as long a shelf life aas regular eggs.

4. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Usually that is the hens first egg. Most of the time they eat it and you dont get the chance to see it. I have found numerous when the young start laying. Especially when they have not been moved to the coop yet.

5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I usually some shelless eggs everytime a new group of pullets start to lay. It usually clears up quickly as their bodies adjust to laying. Make sure they have oyster shell or another calcium source available.

6. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    yeah, as said before it just happens sometimes, even in wild birds. [​IMG] i still always ate the shell-less ones. they taste the same but you gotta poke 'em with a knife or something to get the good stuff out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by