egg with no shell??

motherofmolly

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 16, 2012
i have a chicken that has started laying eggs with no shell. two weeks ago , i noticed the insides of the egg in the coup near the nest boxes. no shell or evidence of a shell. and no real yolk , just the white part of the egg.

today, i see the actual egg with a paper thin (thick enough to hold the insides together, but thin enough to see thru it). shell. the entire egg is intact.

i have a mixture of 13 americana chickens. 7 hens are almost 2 years...the other 6 have just started laying. i can account for all the newbies and 5 of the older hens. with that said, 1 older hen doesnt produce (not sure which one, still pinpointing between 2). i am sure it is an older one but i do not know why she is doing this.

help? i do not give them any extra oyster shell , but i do make sure they get dried crushed shells and i try and make sure that all the chickens get plenty.

i feed my chickens egg shells that i cook in the microwave until they get crispy and then i break it up and either mix it w/ their food or just spread it. it will help w/ calcium and u shood try feeding them more calcium food things,i tries it before cuz i guess im just wierd like dat :p
yesss.gif

maybe i will try and get them more eggshells or just go get a back of oyster shell. they get about 12 egg shells dried and crushed a week.

i wonder if this is my chicken that hasnt laid before and this is what she is starting to do.

Eggs born without shells or very thin shells is a sign that the hens are not getting enough calcium. I mix oyster shell in with their feed..... a LOT of it and they love it. My egg shells are thick and very strong. Another idea to add to that is to take the egg shells from the eggs they lay when you eat them and keep them. Once you have two or three egg shells crumble them up and put them on a cookie sheet in the oven at about 350 for about 10 minutes until they BARELY tan a bit and then take the crumbled up egg shell out of the even let it cool crunch more if pieces are too big and then feed to the chickens as a treat. They LOVE it and they get calcium. My chickens go nuts over the baked shells. :D Hope this helped/

I'd just try a little oyster shell and see what happens. If it's a new layer sometime their system's just glitchy and these things just work themselves out. If it's an older hen you might want to consider culling her. I get these eggs once in a while, usually from new layers, and just make sure they have some extra calcium. I also just feed my shells back to the birds and usually that keeps the shells good, but sometimes I get some thin shells so I toss in some oyster shell.

I'd just try a little oyster shell and see what happens. If it's a new layer sometime their system's just glitchy and these things just work themselves out. If it's an older hen you might want to consider culling her. I get these eggs once in a while, usually from new layers, and just make sure they have some extra calcium. I also just feed my shells back to the birds and usually that keeps the shells good, but sometimes I get some thin shells so I toss in some oyster shell.

my other hens egg shells are thick. they are really healthy and nice. so 12 our of 13 are getting great calcium. and that is just from feeding back the shells from the eggs we use.

ill grab a bag of oyster shell tomorrow and mix it in with their food and see if that helps. if not, like you said she will need to be culled. but, ill try a little more before we go that route. i am hopeful since today i could actually see a some-what of a shell eventhough it was see thru.

thanks!!

My red sex links would get thinner shells as they aged. Still layed good, and huge eggs, but thin shells. Some birds' systems just don't work perfect. I mean, MY reproductive system hasn't always worked perfect, why expect a bird's to?

My hens started their 'mild' molt in mid-December and in mid-January one of them layed a totally shell-less egg. I missed it the evening before because that morning I went to get the eggs I found two 'warm' eggs beside the partially frozen naked egg! I took it in the house and let it thaw on a plate to try to figure out why it might have left the hen prematurely. I immediately noticed that the yolk was divided into three separate tiny yolks in one sac. All three together were the size of a normal yolk, but I did notice that there seemed to be a greater volume (about 25% more) or the 'white' part of the egg. I didn't freak out because my hens have access to oyster shell all the time and I feed them egg shell at least once a week too.

It hasn't happened again and their shells are plenty thick and hard.

Is it possible that the hen's internal 'egg' factory ejected the 'abnormal' egg prematurely, before it went through the 'shell department'?

Back
Top Bottom