Egg Yolk Perirtonitis- can there be a good outcome?

Karhog

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
I have posted previously about Bertha and she has now completed her A/B-she is much better but not 100%. I am almost certain now that the vet I took her to probably was right and that she may have EYP as I have now noticed her passing the odd scrambled egg type substance...She is not swollen or walking like a penguin, nor is her abdomen hot- though I have noticed her comb has flopped to one side. It is still a red colour.
What should I do as I fear the prognosis isn't good- I have researched online and seen people do hysterectomys, hormone treatment etc (often unsuccessfully) Also- the fact that she is passing this 'eggy substance'- is that good as it means she is getting rid of the nastiness?
Do I take her back to the vet to see if anything can be done? - Or do I wait to see what happens and if/when she declines deal with things then? She seems happy and well at the moment apart from a messy bum and generally being slower, she is pecking and scratching round the garden so I believe still has good quality of life.
It breaks my heart to think I may lose her but obviously I need to do whats right for her

Risk of more infections is one of the biggest concerns with EYP. I had a Cochin who was an internal layer who never got an infection. Her belly got more and more distended as a couple years went by, and she kept up with the other chickens in the coop. Eventually her belly got so distended that it was bare of feathers and the other hens started pecking at her belly. We set up a spot for her in the garage and took her out for supervised visits with the flock. It was not ideal, but she still seemed to enjoy seeing the other chickens, sand bathing and getting treats. We had decided that surgery was too much of a risk when she first started showing sighs of EYP. If someone had offered hormone treatment, we may have tried that. We knew that her condition would eventually take its toll on her body. She lived over 3 years and most of that time she led a normal chicken life.

It seems like you should be able to ask your vet about the treatment options you mentioned even without taking her in for an exam. More information would help you make a choice. I know that you are concerned about her quality of life, and it is not easy to make these kind of decisions.

It seems like you should be able to ask your vet about the treatment options you mentioned even without taking her in for an exam. More information would help you make a choice.

goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom