Egg Yolk Peritonitis help

higuy1375

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2021
Hi all,
I have a four year old hen with I believe EYP. It has a fluid feel near its abdomine and walks around like a penguin. I can drain the fluid from the abdomin but I'm not sue what antibiotics to go on. I just want a second-hand opinion on someone who has done this to tell me how to go about draining and healing the chicken.

Fluid buildup in the abdomen is called ascites or commonly water belly. It can be caused by EYP but there can be other causes as well such as liver or heart problems.

In the case of EYP, draining can be difficult (if not impossible) because the fluid can be thick and yolky, or the yolk can even "cook" from body heat and become solid. If the fluid is from heart/liver issues it is usually amber colored, more watery and easier to drain off. Draining the fluid is not a cure, but will help make the hen more comfortable and can extend her life. If the fluid is from EYP, there is a chance that yolk in the abdomen was a oneoff "mistake" and if it doesn't happen again the hen can recover. Any general antibiotic like baytril *might* be helpful to treat and/or prevent infection, but it's possible that there your girl's main issue has nothing to do with infection.

Some advice on draining from personal experience: have a helper to hold the hen firmly (but not so tight they have trouble breathing). Test the plunger before use so you know how much resistance to expect from it. Don't try to drain every last drop--just relieve some fo the pressure and make her comfortable. (Some people say the bird can go into shock if you drain off too much at once.) If you're having trouble getting fluid out with the plunger, don't keep trying again and again. Limit the number of needle pokes. In many cases, the hen will continue to drain off fluid through the puncture wound after the procedure. You can encourage that by gently massaging her abdomen and and wiping the hole with a clean, wet towel to keep it from closing up too quickly. Make sure you have a clean place with a little food and water ready for the hen to recuperate while her wound closes up.

There are many videos of draining on youtube. I'd watch a few of them, including this one:

Back
Top Bottom