1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggbound goose!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mlward, Mar 7, 2014.

1. mlward

mlward Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Tuscarora, NY
    I have a goose that I am sure is eggboung. My small group of buffs just hatched last spring, so this is their first breeding/laying season. My 3 girls started laying approximately one week ago. This morning I found one goose in the dog crate where they lay the eggs and she appeared to be working hard. I gave her some time, but then she came out and was kind of stumbling around. I have brought her in and she is soaking in a warm bath. Using a glove and vaseline, I checked and I DO feel an egg quite a ways in but I am obviously not in the correct place as I feel the egg through a wall of tissue. I didn't want to go rooting around any further without doing a bit of research. I have read that giving calcium is a big help, so we're working on that. Keeping her in a warm bath and massaging her abdomen from front to back. I am not sure what else to do at this point and was hoping for any suggestions. Please?! 8>

2. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana

I ground up tums and gave that in a syringe with water. I gave warm bathes. You can take to a vet if nothing improves. I lost my buff goose last year while she was trying to lay her second egg. One of the 2 yearling females I have now will probably lay her second egg today. I hope things improve.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please keep us updated on your goose, sure hope she lays that egg.

4. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Any update?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by