eggbound? hen w/ very swollen abdomen - penguin stanance, please help

PAzoo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
Dover, PA
last week I found a bloody egg - thought perhaps the egg before broke and left shells - cutting her -causing an infection I have soaked her back end and massaged - have her separated from the flock and in a warm area... her eyes are clear - combs red - in pain

Any suggestions? I have injectable antibiotics... looking like I may need to put her down this weekend - should I try the antibiotics and what dose. or other treatment. thanks

Can you feel an egg for sure? If so, push gently on her abdomen toward the vent. Put some olive oil inside her vent, and give her some Motrin 200mg (half a pill for a banty, whole for a LF). Antibiotics aren't a bad idea, but you don't need anything fancy. Terramyacin for 7 days should be just fine. If she doesn't improve, take her to your vet and ask if they can give her a shot of Oxytocin. It will cause contractions and help her get the egg out.

Thank you Moodys! I am encouraged... though I did not feel an egg - but thought perhaps shells - I will use the antibiotics in her water and the motrin... !

Quote:
When I dealt with this my vet did the draining, after x-rays to confirm. He drained the abdomen in the office with a syringe. It's a clear, yellow fluid and the bird was much brighter and eating again in about 12 hours. I would be comfortable doing the procedure at home though, you just need a luer lock syringe, an extra set of hands and a little courage
wink.png

~ Nikki

Back
Top Bottom