Eggbound symptoms?

JodiLynn

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
I have never had a hen be "egg bound" so I am not sure what to look for. This morning my 2 year old Buff Silkie is acting off. She is up moving around but slowly and also slightly holding her wings down when she walks. As if it is painful to walk. I tried feeling around her vent area but I do not know what I am looking for. Will I feel an egg? She was fine yesterday so should I wait and see if she passes it? I got this girl as a show chicken and she has stolen everyones heart. My 5 year old nephew loves her and tells everyone at school about his chicken. I may be overreacting but I cant be sure it just seems a if something is off. Can someone with experience chime in on this?

Bring her inside and put her in a nice warm bath. This usually helps them pass a stuck egg (if it doesn't, no harm). Sometimes their abdomen will be a little bloated.Alot of times their vents will pulse too, like their trying to pass an egg. You may have to lube up a finger and go inside to help the eggs pass (or check for a broken egg).
Its possible too she could've taken a whopping by another bird and isn't feeling well. Check her for injuries/pests/anything off while you've got hold of her. Of course, if you bring her inside for a bath, blow dry her really well before you send hee back out. Good luck.
Nikki

Thank you so much for replying. I'm in grad school and had classes that couldn't be missed so as soon as I get home I will do this. In the process of checking her over I noticed she had mites. I dusted and treated her along with everyone in her people. This afternoon I will bring her back indoors and give a bath and let her rest indoors and go from there with her.

The mites could be the cause. You'll need to clean out your coop thoroughly as well though. Remove all bedding, sprinkle some Sevin (or whatever you're using) on the bare floor and spray the walls, roosts and empty nest boxes with Adams flea and tick spray or something similar. Repeat in 10 days. If you don't the mites will continue to live in the bedding and any cracks in the coop. I had a TERRIBLE infestation last summer. Only one ever, caused by birds nesting in the eves of my coop. I could literally put my hand on the wall to lean over and fill the feeder and my hand and arm were covered in mites. They're not going to be nesting anywhere near my coop/house this year. It was awful, don't let yours get that bad!!!!
Nikki

Back
Top Bottom