eggbound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicklover16, Jun 19, 2011.

1. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    whats being eggbound?

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    It basically means an egg gets stuck inside the hen & she can't lay the egg. I'm fairly new to chicken-keeping, but recently had a Golden Comet (one of my original 6 girls) who had just started laying eggs. She laid two double-yolkers & then died right after her egg-laying career started. I was traumatized as I held my first chicken-funeral. I didn't know until later that she was egg-bound.[​IMG]

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the treatment for egg-bound?

4. ConservativeRed

ConservativeRed New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    Marsing. Idaho
    Or white leghorn died just last Tuesday due to a lack of knowledge. SImilar situation. Sad too because after ready here, she may not have had to.I didn't even know it was called "eggbound" I have been reading like mad because I didn't know what was wrong with her and didn't want the same things to happen to the other 3 though they are fine. A tough lesson.

5. tlagnhoj

tlagnhoj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Indy
    How did you find out after the fact that she was egg-bound. I just lost a hen two weeks ago. It was the one day I didn't have a chance to keep an eye on them so I had no clue anything was amiss. When I did a head count at night, I came up one short. She was under the coop. I can only guess that she was egg bound, but I have no way of knowing for sure. Short of dissection and that wasn't happening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by