1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggl Hatching is Nerve wracking!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cochinfan, Jun 14, 2011.

1. cochinfan

cochinfan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    I just went out to shut the door to the coop. I heard loud baby peeping. I have three dog crates in the coop right now each with a hen and several babies but all seemed asleep. Where was that peeping coming from?!? I shined the flashlight all around trying not to wake too many birds. then I glanced at a pile of eggs that I had collected as having been pushed out of the nests by the hens. I had assumed that they were duds or had gotten too cool to survive. Well one of them was in the process of hatching. Thank goodness I found it. I would have been devastated if I had found it in the morning! Now I'm worried that some of the other eggs may hatch but they were all very cool. I held them up to my ear to listen for peeping. This whole hatching thing is stressing me out. The next hen that goes broody is getting an ice bath LOL!!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Do you have an incubator you can put the eggs in? Have you candled them?

3. cochinfan

cochinfan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    I don't have an incubator but the eggs had cooled quite a bit. They were cool to the touch. I have no way of knowing how long they were not being sat on. Can you tell if a chick in an egg is alive when you candle or just that there is a chick in it? My candling techniques are not great but I'm willing to improve my skills so as not to face this again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by