Egglaying & flock dynamics when chicks are present????

gabby3535

Songster
11 Years
Oct 11, 2008
Hardwick, NW New Jersey
Can anyone tell me, please, what's going on here?
I had a hen go broody about 7 weeks ago or so. Got her some fertile eggs to hatch, and now, presently, she is raising 3 little chicks within the flock.
When she originally went broody, the egg production of the other 5 hens dropped off a lot.........(i.e.......before broody, I would get 4-6 eggs, out of 6 hens, per day.
After broodiness set in.......egg production dropped off to, perhaps 2-3 eggs per day.)
But since the chicks hatched........and they are 3 weeks old now......I'm lucky if I get one egg per day. And some of the girls have not laid an egg at all in weeks!
Is this common after chicks are hatched, and are being raised by the mom in with the other girls????
Or is something else going on?
Any ideas?
Advice?

Not sure? Sounds like you just need some more hens!
wink.png
gig.gif

I could have written you story! I have had the same experience. The chicks are 6 weeks old - and today was my best day 3 eggs out of 5 hens. I usually get 1 or none. So frustrating! I hope someone who can explain it can chime in with a good answer!

Dont know what going on but its going on here too. 12 hens in that coop one with 5 wk olds i get maybe 5 eggs a day, if im lucky.

same over here in belgium too!
hen goes broody, egg production drops from 10 per day to 2/3 eggs,
broody removed with chicks..egg production rose to around 5 or 6 per day
bought some 6 week old chicks, introduced them to the flock...am now lucky if i get 1 egg per day from 15 original chickens
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom