Egglaying & flock dynamics when chicks are present????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gabby3535, Jun 20, 2010.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

Can anyone tell me, please, what's going on here?
    I had a hen go broody about 7 weeks ago or so. Got her some fertile eggs to hatch, and now, presently, she is raising 3 little chicks within the flock.
    When she originally went broody, the egg production of the other 5 hens dropped off a lot.........(i.e.......before broody, I would get 4-6 eggs, out of 6 hens, per day.
    After broodiness set in.......egg production dropped off to, perhaps 2-3 eggs per day.)
    But since the chicks hatched........and they are 3 weeks old now......I'm lucky if I get one egg per day. And some of the girls have not laid an egg at all in weeks!
    Is this common after chicks are hatched, and are being raised by the mom in with the other girls????
    Or is something else going on?
    Any ideas?
    Advice?

2. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

Bump.......Can anyone reply, please??

3. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Not sure? Sounds like you just need some more hens![​IMG][​IMG]

4. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    I could have written you story! I have had the same experience. The chicks are 6 weeks old - and today was my best day 3 eggs out of 5 hens. I usually get 1 or none. So frustrating! I hope someone who can explain it can chime in with a good answer!

5. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    Mine tend to drop off when it is extremely hot out. In the ATL it has been over 90F for the last 11 days straight. Maybe this is happening.

6. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Do you have more than one nest? If not then offer them another. Are they free-range? Have you checked the yard if so?

7. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    I have 5 nest boxes - beautiful weather (70-80's) and checked the yard over and over. The one difference in their lives....chicks.... [​IMG]

8. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Dont know what going on but its going on here too. 12 hens in that coop one with 5 wk olds i get maybe 5 eggs a day, if im lucky.

9. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    same over here in belgium too!
    hen goes broody, egg production drops from 10 per day to 2/3 eggs,
    broody removed with chicks..egg production rose to around 5 or 6 per day
    bought some 6 week old chicks, introduced them to the flock...am now lucky if i get 1 egg per day from 15 original chickens [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by