egglaying time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kick'n chick'n, Nov 25, 2008.

1. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    hello all,

what time of the day do your hens lay? (morning,afternoon,or evening?)

my hens just started to lay a few weeks ago & they all lay in the late afternoon about 2 hours before dark.

will they start laying in the mornings when they get alittle older?

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    honestly they may be layin about the same time now but after awhile it will vary to different times of the day altogether. It is said that you need to check for eggs frequently during the day.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I had a bantam here in the yard, quite wild, it layed almost 30 minutes later each day then skiped a day and would start all over again. I think they lay according to their own rythums. There was another hen that took up here and she layed everymorning just at 7 am.
    smiling, aren't they something. Jean

4. apukanski

apukanski Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    Sometimes I get more eggs in the am than in the pm. It's different every day. A surprise every time.lol

5. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    We have a silkie right now that seems to be on a 32 hour cycle. We have to check her nest 3 times a day since it has been so cold in Virginia, and we don't want to let the eggs freeze. If you have more than one chicken laying you should be checking at least 3 times a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by