Eggs and Freezing Temps and Predators

chickchick8

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 21, 2009
North Carolina
Forgive me, this is my first year with a breeding pair of sebs and this may be an elementary question, but I want to be sure to do the right thing....

I live in NC and we're in the midst of a super cold wave with temps occasionally dipping into the lower teens at night, highs in the 30's and 40's. The sebs have been actively mating for about 2 weeks. The goose seems to have chosen a spot and works on digging and lining it daily but I haven't found any eggs.

Questions:
We're expecting more winter weather in the form of snow and ice for the next three days. If she does lay, should I bring them indoors until she is ready to sit?

Will she become broody without the eggs piling up?

Should I move her nest to the barn? She seems to have decided on building it in a shed near the house. It's not ideal, certainly not raccoon proof, but I hate to move things and screw up any chances of her hatching a brood.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I am having the same problems but, what I do know is that if the eggs get below like 50 degress they will become infertile, so if you can get to them before the weather that is good. And I do not know if she will get broody or not, I have got wooden eggs and placed them in place for there eggs.

Hi, I am having the same problems but, what I do know is that if the eggs get below like 50 degress they will become infertile, so if you can get to them before the weather that is good. And I do not know if she will get broody or not, I have got wooden eggs and placed them in place for there eggs.

Egg replacements are a good idea. Will have to remember that. My chickens go broody at the drop of a hat, but seasonal breeders are new to me so I'm nervous about doing things right so she *hopefully* hatches some wee babes.

Forgive me, this is my first year with a breeding pair of sebs and this may be an elementary question, but I want to be sure to do the right thing....

I live in NC and we're in the midst of a super cold wave with temps occasionally dipping into the lower teens at night, highs in the 30's and 40's. The sebs have been actively mating for about 2 weeks. The goose seems to have chosen a spot and works on digging and lining it daily but I haven't found any eggs.

Questions:
We're expecting more winter weather in the form of snow and ice for the next three days. If she does lay, should I bring them indoors until she is ready to sit?

Will she become broody without the eggs piling up?

Should I move her nest to the barn? She seems to have decided on building it in a shed near the house. It's not ideal, certainly not raccoon proof, but I hate to move things and screw up any chances of her hatching a brood.

Thanks in advance!
I'd take all eggs she'll try again when it's warmer and please don't let her just pick a spot especially if it isn't safe They don't realize the dangers of predators that is where we come in to protect them and their goslings when they hatch. As long as you take her eggs she'll keep laying way up into spring.

Back
Top Bottom