eggs are cool, but where are they?

DeNiseW

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
I'm wondering how to teach the ladies how to use the next box. egg hunting is not gonna be fun when it starts to snow. I've had eggs for a week now, under the beets/spruce tree/hole in the yard and behind the coop. I've tried calmly putting them into the box and I have a glass egg in one box. Any suggestions?

You can put fake eggs in the nesting boxes to convince them its safe to lay there or you could lock them in for a day so they will get used to it, it worked with some of my hens! And yes eggrcool- eggs-r-cool
tongue.png

Someone told me to use golf balls, and to not let them out of the coop/run until later in the morning. Apparently they lay earlier in the morning so they will desire to lay in the dark "safe" spots..and teh only places in the run/coop are the nest boxes.

Quote:
My girls lay at 9am another at 9:30am, another 2 at 10:45am, another at 1:15pm and the last at 2:00pm.

I collect my eggs after they all go to bed.

Really? I was told they do all their laying early in the morning!
So..how would i get them to wanna climb the ladder, go back into their coop and lay in the nest boxes? (mine havent started laying yet..they are about 18 weeks! soooon!)

Hey, Thanks so much everyone. I'll try some of your suggestions and bide my time, I'm just an anxious mom--never had chickens before--My sweetie, the old farmboy is having more fun watching me than he should be allowed.

Back
Top Bottom