Eggs are lighter color

Southern Gardener

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Louisiana
Can anyone tell me why in the last couple of months my hens (buff oprs, doms, ee's) eggs are lighter than usual - they used to be a nice brown and greenish blue, but now they are so light in color.

Thanks!

No idea. But I am bumping your post in hopes someone else can help.
smile.png

was wondering this about my speckles today, the ones who get free range and layer ration lay a lighter color egg, the ones who stay in the coop/run and get a little bit of veggies and layer, lay a darker egg?!?! all from same batch of chicks!

I read on here somewhere that the more they lay the lighter the egg gets. So in winter when they lay less the egg is darker in color and in spring summer its lighter because they are laying more eggs and have less pigment per egg.

That makes sense after reading on My Pet Chicken - I want to buy Black Copper Marans eggs to hatch and it says

the first eggs a pullet ever lays will be her darkest. The "dye" is brand new and abundant! As the eggs get more frequent and larger, they will slightly lighten in color, as more of the coloring is used every day and is spread out over a larger egg surface area. In addition, the eggs will slightly darken again after your hen has gone through a period of reduced laying or rest, for example after a molt.

Back
Top Bottom