Eggs at 15 weeks???

Karen 2739

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 7, 2010
San Diego
I have two chickens laying nearly daily, I also have one that is a Light Brahma, she doesn't seem close to laying, they are all about 22 weeks old. I have three at 15 weeks, 2 Barred Rocks and one EE. A few days ago, I found a very pale and thin shelled egg broken in one of the nests. I also found later in the day, two regular eggs, from my older girls. Doing the egg laying math, obviously there is a third one starting to lay. This morning, I found two very pale, very thin shelled eggs on the floor of the coop. This must mean that the 15 week old BR's are laying. Is that typical of very early age laying? I have calcium through oyster shells and they are eating it. Do you think the light shells and the thinness is a typical part of laying at such an early age?
jumpy.gif

I don't think I've heard of anyone laying so young, but I haven't read a LOT this last year on BYC, just lots the years before
wink.png
so perhaps it has happened to someone else and hopefully they will come along & share.

But why is it you don't think the 22 week old(s) might be started... I mean 5 months is certainly not abnormal or all that early really.

Ok, so you have 5 chickens - 2 - 22 weeks and 3 - 15 weeks. Gotcha.
thumbsup.gif
Well, I have heard plenty of chickens who manage to drop a 2nd partial egg in a day, specially during the time where they are learning to regulate their cycles and become good egg layers.

I would say though IF the younger ones are starting to lay, just don't worry unless you find a reason to. No matter who is doing it, as a very young hen it's certainly normal for there to be abnormal eggs... does that make sense?

Do your best to keep them nourished and provide what you are and usually the hens will figure it all out for you.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom