Eggs at 15 weeks?!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by trailhound, Jun 18, 2008.

1. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    I found an egg in the coop with my 15-16 week Golden Comets- was this a freak thing, or can I get excited about fresh eggs? I thought they wouldn't lay until about 6 months.

When should I switch them from Start and Grow to Laying pellets? I use Purina sunfresh, and I think the bag says to switch at 18 weeks, but if they are laying early...

Thanks!
    Andrea

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sexlinks can lay very early, so it's entirely possible. Yes, you can switch to layer now because the others will probably not be too far behind. Or you can just let them finish the bag you have and offer oyster shell free choice.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That is right on time for Golden Comets! They are supposed to start laying at 15 wks. Congrats on your first egg! [​IMG]

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My Black and Brown sex-links laid at 15 weeks too. Once they started they just kept right on at it.

5. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Yeah! I have nine chickens right now and haven't had eggs in a long time. My two old lady hens have pretty much stopped laying, these three comets have been too young, then I got roped into another batch of 4 mystery (breed and sex unknown) chicks which are only about a month old. DH has been a very good sport, but has been a little grouchy about the lack of eggs for all of the work, lol.

So, I will phase them over to the laying pellets, because I have round two still on the Start and Grow. Also, then I can combine coops, now I have three tractors.

Thanks!
    Andrea

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I have gold comets and I read that they lay at 22 weeks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by