eggs beginning to hatch and problems have arose, help

Cynthia,
My two chicks are dry now and we will move them to the brooder soon. I have questions about this...

My Dad built a little wodden brooder for us to keep outside. We are having a cool spell here though as of this morning and I am worried about the chicks being cold. We have a 60 watt bulb to use for heat that is coated with a yellow film (it's not a clear bulb). The sides of the brooder are solid wood the top and bottom are wire.
What should I line it with? (I need some kind of material I can find around the house. There is no pet store in our small town)
Should I use a cardboard box inside at first?

The first chick we had (the one I helped hatch) has finally perked up. It is just as vivacious as the yellow one. But, I am still noticing it favoring one of its legs. I THINK that one of the toes is kinda crooked. What does this mean and how do we help?

Hi, im glad they are perking up.
Have you got some hay for the floor, if not go out and pick some long dry meadow grass, which is far nicer anyway!!!
dont use newsaper as a sheet, it is too slippery and they will injure their feet.
If newspaper is all that you can find, just shred it real fine.
I use a 60 watt red globe and adjust its height according to how the chicks(ducklings in my case) huddle!
Im sorry i cant help with the foot, have you got a pic?

If I can get a pic I will. The chick seems to keep its feet "tucked under" its body compared to the other one. (I don't know if this makes sense) Will try to get a picture some time today. My kids will be up soon and they will be so surprised to see what the chicks look like now. It will be like christmas. I can't wait!

It is very wet here so finding grass will be a problem. What about contruction paper shredded? It is not as slick as newpaper?

Should they go into the brooder outside on the porch first?

I think I just heard one of the last two eggs go "cheep". I was about to discard them (literally I was on the way to the trash can) when I heard it. But I am not sure...could have been the two that have already hatched in the background. I didn't think there was going to be anything out of those two but we will see.

ok. I did hear a cheep! worried that humidity got too low while the hatched chicks were in the incuabtor. Do I continue my plan of moving the hatched chicks to the brooder box or put them back in the incubator to cheer on the other guy?

the third egg hatched after I moistened the membrane a little. We now have 3 chicks. (3 out of 5... I guess this is good??)

I can't seem to get the temp in my homemade brooder above 88 degrees. Will they be ok?

I don't worry so much about the temp in my brooder, but more how the chicks are acting. If they're huddled up together chirping they're more than likely cold ....if they're as far away from the heat source as they can possibly get, they're probably too hot....if they're running around eating and drinking and doing their "chick thing" it's probably the right temp. I've never used a thermometor in my brooder.

Ok. They were under the light earlier and I place a towel over the top to keep the heat in. THis has worked because they have moved to the middle of the box and are not on top of each other anymore.
I have not seen them eat or drink on their own yet. If I put water or feed on my finger they will nip at it. Is this normal and if so how long before I see them go to their water and food on their own?

Back
Top Bottom