Eggs being laid in random places

When I suspect one of my ducks is laying out in the yard I will leave everyone locked in their coop until noon for a few days to get them back on track. Occasionally one of the girls will wait until the afternoon to lay so they can go out in the yard. When that happens I watch where they go so I can find the nest and take the eggs. Basically I want them to believe the only safe place to lay their eggs is in the coop. It helps if they like the nests in their coop and they never see anyone messing with their eggs. Sometimes they can be stubborn, but in the end they always go back to laying in the coop. At my house most of the eggs I miss get eaten by wild animals, so that helps too.

When I suspect one of my ducks is laying out in the yard I will leave everyone locked in their coop until noon for a few days to get them back on track. Occasionally one of the girls will wait until the afternoon to lay so they can go out in the yard. When that happens I watch where they go so I can find the nest and take the eggs. Basically I want them to believe the only safe place to lay their eggs is in the coop. It helps if they like the nests in their coop and they never see anyone messing with their eggs. Sometimes they can be stubborn, but in the end they always go back to laying in the coop. At my house most of the eggs I miss get eaten by wild animals, so that helps too.

Great idea! Thank you! We will give that a try!

Back
Top Bottom