Eggs being laid in random places

slippednfell

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
AR - OZARK Mountains
I have four ducks. A Cayuga drake, a Peking hen and two Mallard hens. They are about a year old and have been raised together. We have a pond that is a acre and a half. Their enclosure is 10 x 20 and 6' tall. It sits so that it is 1/2 in the water and 1/2 on the bank. Their duck house is on the bank with a ramp that goes into the water. They actually have created little openings so they can get in and out of their enclosure at will. (They tunneled out! lol) Up until a few weeks ago, they have been laying their eggs in the duck house. Sometimes they are buried under the straw a bit. (There are three ceramic eggs in the duck house.)

(Several weeks ago, we noticed them eating their eggs but we changed their food to layer feed and offered oyster shells, on advice of some of your fine folks, and that ended that. They were back to laying in the house.)

So... in the past few weeks, when the house is checked for eggs every day, there aren't any in there. I still see them mating. One day, we found a duck egg at the bottom of our deck steps and I know they don't wander to that side of the house as we have a dog that runs loose and that would put them way too far from safety. Last night, we were on the deck and saw our dog that wanders sniffing around one of the clumps of vegetation and then she picked something up and ran with it. My hubby went through the house and out the front door and got it from her and as I suspected, it was a duck egg. Now it had a small crack in the shell.

Other than blocking off their escape routes and depriving them of most of their large pond and foraging along the banks, how do we get them to lay their eggs in the house again?

You can see one escape route in the photo. It is left of the concrete block, just left of center in the photo.

20200514-IMG_3864.jpg

A couple of ours have taken to laying their eggs in thorny bushes (thanks ladies).

I think its so we don"t take them (now I feel like the Cruella De Vill of my ducks world.....). I've been charged by one of them when she caught me taking her egg from the house.

:(

Clever of them to pick the thorny bushes! We have a ton of wild blackberry bushes (thorns) around the pond. I'm certain some predator would find them and eat them if not laid in the house. None of mine are broody and have never shown any adverse reaction to having their eggs taken.

Clever of them to pick the thorny bushes! We have a ton of wild blackberry bushes (thorns) around the pond. I'm certain some predator would find them and eat them if not laid in the house. None of mine are broody and have never shown any adverse reaction to having their eggs taken.
Mine are a wily and contrary bunch !

When I suspect one of my ducks is laying out in the yard I will leave everyone locked in their coop until noon for a few days to get them back on track. Occasionally one of the girls will wait until the afternoon to lay so they can go out in the yard. When that happens I watch where they go so I can find the nest and take the eggs. Basically I want them to believe the only safe place to lay their eggs is in the coop. It helps if they like the nests in their coop and they never see anyone messing with their eggs. Sometimes they can be stubborn, but in the end they always go back to laying in the coop. At my house most of the eggs I miss get eaten by wild animals, so that helps too.

Did anything happen recently that would make the ducks feel the duck house was not as safe anymore?

Good question! Not to my knowledge. I sleep with our sliding glass bedroom door open at least a crack so I can hear any trouble at night. Haven't heard any disruptions at night and nothing alarming during the day. We put their feed in the duck house, and I know they go in there to eat.

Back
Top Bottom