Burrowing?

Kokotheduck

In the Brooder
May 16, 2022
So I have one duck that lives in the house with us she's about 3 years old she's a Blue Swedish but for night time she has an extra large dog crate bottom that I put Cedar bedding in I changed it every 3 to 4 days she runs around the house most of the day or outside with the dogs but I noticed a couple days this week she is like burrowing this little nest type spot and she's only done that a couple times in her life we have radiant heat in our house along the walls and we keep it at 64° at night it usually doesn't turn on much but her house is kind of close to it I'm curious if she's getting too hot and trying to burrow down to a cool spot or if she's just getting comfortable? She doesn't have an egg in there but she is still laying eggs it is January in Michigan so it's cold but she's always inside just curious if it's too hot or too cold and if that's why she's doing it I want to make sure she doesn't get too hot or anything being right there the heater is not touching the enclosure and it doesn't blow at all the broad spot is close to it it's not as far away as she can get just wanted to see if anybody has any ducks that do some more things and if I need to worry about it at all also does anybody else's ducks like to chew on shoelaces? She will not leave my shoelaces alone she follows me around to untie my shoes and chew on the shoelaces also slippers she will mess a slipper up she likes to tear them apart and she is very aggressive towards boots and slide on sandals 😅 also a little back information she's a single house duck because when we lived in California we had other ducks and we hatched a couple eggs one of the ducklings flipped onto its back when we were not home obviously didn't make it it was our first time hatching Ducks I didn't know that was a thing the other one did not make it out of the shell all the way she had fine I let her get a little bit bigger when I went to put her outside with the other Ducks they were mean to her and trying to hurt her so I brought her back in and within one to two days of mountain lion got our entire flock we had about four ducks and four chickens and then we moved across country previous house we were too close to the lake to get any kind of farm animals at our new house we're thinking about getting some chickens and Ducks this spring she will still be indoors at night since I hatched her and I'm like Mama I would not feel comfortable leaving her out in the coop with the other birds full time but I think we're getting to run around with other Ducks and the daytime will be good for her I do take her to the lake in the summertime she just swims around me when I sit in water I let her wander around and she never goes very far I take her to the park and stuff and we have a very large grass yard she's a little chunky right now because it's winter and then there's been a lot of snow but I definitely want her to have other ducks to socialize with soon There's a picture of the spot she is made and a couple pictures of koko chanel duckly so you can see who I'm asking about and there's a picture of koko and her fur brother sitks protecting her ❤️

Attachments

• 20240130_123757.jpg
    20240130_123757.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240129_201201.jpg
    20240129_201201.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240125_142209.jpg
    20240125_142209.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231206_125803.jpg
    20231206_125803.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231128_105005.jpg
    20231128_105005.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 7
Mine usually dig when they are laying. The days are getting longer and ducks think spring comes early. I suspect she will lay soon.
She has not stopped laying because she is an indoor duck she lives in the house is she still lays everyday she just doesn't normally burrow like that she's only done in a couple times my husband thinks she might be broody she's about 3 years old and has never had a mate

Black, not blue Swedish.

What are you asking? Why she's burrowing? It's incredibly hard to follow your post, especially in just one big text block

Black, not blue Swedish.

What are you asking? Why she's burrowing? It's incredibly hard to follow your post, especially in just one big text block
Yes she is black but her breed is a Swedish blue and yes curious why she's burrowing just like once or twice a year and then not any other time she is still laying because she lives indoors she doesn't really go through the winter cycle and I was also curious if anybody else's ducks like to attack shoes particularly boots and slides and she wants shoelaces

She has not stopped laying because she is an indoor duck she lives in the house is she still lays everyday she just doesn't normally burrow like that she's only done in a couple times my husband thinks she might be broody she's about 3 years old and has never had a mate
Even indoors they are affected by day length. In the spring, their hormones are higher.

Back
Top Bottom