Poor duck won't stop crying for her duck friend that died

Jan 12, 2024
South Carolina Greenville
Hello, So I just want to make this simple, a week ago one of my ducks died, She was a call duck and the first duck we ever had her name was Patitas, When we bought more ducks the second one we got was a Rouen duck her name is Margarito When we got her she was like a baby still, she squeaked, she was small, had little feathers and such, We first introduced her to our other duck and she fell in love since she was still a duckling and a baby she would follow the other around like it was her mom, However fast forward on Feb 6 Patitas died and I was sad but Margarito was even sadder, Shes has grown now but she still cried out for her, Margarito won't stop screaming for her and will not come near me, she cries repeatedly, she calls out to her, and to make sure we played audio of patitas quacking and sure enough, Margarito called out for her and thought she was around along with that she won't hop in the water, Mostly because she would only go in it if Patitas was in it how do we get her to get over her? Should we just wait it out? Get another duck?

I am so sorry for your loss.
Can you get a safety glass mirror and a stuffed animal for Margarito . That may help her a bit. Yes I would definitly look for another duck or 2 to be friends with her. Ducks do not do very well without other ducks around. I have even heard of ducks dying of a broken heart when their mate dies they miss them so much of they are alone.

Hello, So I just want to make this simple, a week ago one of my ducks died, She was a call duck and the first duck we ever had her name was Patitas, When we bought more ducks the second one we got was a Rouen duck her name is Margarito When we got her she was like a baby still, she squeaked, she was small, had little feathers and such, We first introduced her to our other duck and she fell in love since she was still a duckling and a baby she would follow the other around like it was her mom, However fast forward on Feb 6 Patitas died and I was sad but Margarito was even sadder, Shes has grown now but she still cried out for her, Margarito won't stop screaming for her and will not come near me, she cries repeatedly, she calls out to her, and to make sure we played audio of patitas quacking and sure enough, Margarito called out for her and thought she was around along with that she won't hop in the water, Mostly because she would only go in it if Patitas was in it how do we get her to get over her? Should we just wait it out? Get another duck?
I am so sorry about Patitas. :hugs
Margarito would be happiest if you get her another duck. They are social creatures and want their own kind as company. I have three ducks and when two got hurt and had to stay inside for a few days, the other was literally depressed. He'd quack these sad little quacks and just sat in the coop, not even interested in food.
I hope you and Magarito stay safe from the coyote and you are able to find her another friend soon!

I am so sorry for your loss.
Can you get a safety glass mirror and a stuffed animal for Margarito . That may help her a bit. Yes I would definitly look for another duck or 2 to be friends with her. Ducks do not do very well without other ducks around. I have even heard of ducks dying of a broken heart when their mate dies they miss them so much of they are alone.
We put a little stuffed duck toy down there with her, she stopped quacking and layed down next to it thank you for the suggestion!!
I am so sorry about Patitas. :hugs
Margarito would be happiest if you get her another duck. They are social creatures and want their own kind as company. I have three ducks and when two got hurt and had to stay inside for a few days, the other was literally depressed. He'd quack these sad little quacks and just sat in the coop, not even interested in food.
I hope you and Magarito stay safe from the coyote and you are able to find her another friend soon!
We are going to get another duck for her today, it is a Cayuga duck I hope Margarito will like her :)

Back
Top Bottom